Sunday, August 22, 2010

[ Leaving Home ]

“When are you finally going to clean up your room?”
My mum will nag about this all day long as I sank deep inside my own world.

“Maybe tomorrow…. ”
I guess this answer would come almost immediately as the dreadful noise pollution continues.

“If I feel like doing it….”
This would be the heart’s answer.

How I miss those words.
How I miss the 30 over years that I’ve stayed with my parents.

Maybe some of us will laugh at the fact everyone will go out and build their own home at certain points of their lives.

Being independent and growing up.
That’s adulthood and the true facts of life.

Recently I’ve finally moved out from my parents and have a place of my own with my wife. It took us a lot of effort to raise the funding to purchase our flat.

The first night of our stay, I couldn’t sleep.
I remembered that telling my wife that I missed mum’s nagging.
She would always nag across the room before we go to bed.

It would either be about my messy room, about me being overspending or simply complaining what a hard life she is having. Sometimes I would answer back with a sense of rebel and most of the time I will end up at the losing end.

It was all quiet as we switched off our lights.

No nagging, no complaining, no sound.

I know all of us always have the urge to leave home one day.
We know we will be the kings and queens of our own little palace.
We can cook whatever we want and we can always leave the cleaning to tomorrow.

That’s probably the good side.

I’ve realized there are so many things which I won’t have know until I moved out.

Doing your groceries shopping is an art.
Some days you can be at the supermarket and realize that there’s no vegetable at all.
Buying the correct things at the correct supermarket can save you some dollars.

Cooking is not putting in all the ingredients and expects it to turn nicely as how our mums would cook. Doing laundry and mopping the floor exerts more energy than climbing stairs.

As we slowly get use to managing the whole house ourselves, I learn to appreciate all the nagging that I used to have.

As far as I hate nagging, it is still a communication skill that only women perfect the art.

It is an art of driving a message across your ears, bypassing your logic senses and directly hit your brain and memory.

Somehow no matter where you go, how far you’ve been, you will always remember your mum’s nagging.

These days, we only go back on Sunday.
She doesn’t really nag anymore.

“When you step out of the house, you are an adult now. Soon you are going to be someone’s father; I don’t need to nag at you anymore”

I know I might be labeled a sissy in front of my friends
(ok never mind that, all of them don’t read my blog)

I missed her nagging and miss her.

Thanks for all the nag that I’ve received in my life.

You’ll never know how much you miss it until you missed it.

1 comment:

kecinthia said...

hmm..thanks for all the good stories you have posted. I really enjoy their. Keep it going.

The above story makes me v 感动. I will be moving out from my parents' flat in a few months time to embark on a new phase of my life journey. Just when i am entertaining thoughts of " Oh cool,i dun have to put up with more naggings from my mum", your story reminds me to treasure the things i have while i am still living under the shelter of my parents' protective wings.

Thank you for the reminder - 惜福