Monday, September 24, 2007

Book of Love 爱神の书



Chapter 28


During a relationship, there will be times when both of you had a really bad argument. It could be that she had done something really bad that hurt you bitterly or it could be something that he had done that brought out all the sorrows in you.

Then how far would you go to forgive a person?

It’s strange that many people claimed that they would do almost anything for the ones they loved.

But when it comes to forgiving someone, these people would be the first to omit from their list of ‘everything that I’m willing to do’.

I ever heard a story about a guy and his fiancée.

They knew each other for many years since secondary school. As a couple, they went through many ups and downs. Every time they would compensate each other’s mistake and forgive each other no matter what.

Time passed and soon both before finally decided to settle down and start a family. So wedding plans were made and they even bought a house and finished renovation.

As both their parents were rather traditional, both of them were not supposed to see each other on the night before their customary marriage.

The guy didn’t have any pre-wedding last bachelor’s night program so he decided to go to their new house.

When he reached, the first thing he realized were the two pairs of shoes left on the doorstep. One was distinctively his fiancée’s; the other was a pair of male sports shoe.

As he opened the door, he heard laughter coming out from the master bedroom. As much as the guy tried to be self-deceiving, he opened the doorknob to prove himself wrong.

The sight was disbelieving.


The guy stood at the front of his master bedroom and saw his wife to be and another man merrily enjoying on their bed. The stranger saw him and got dress almost instantly while the woman just froze at the sight.

The guy then closed the door and sat in the living room while both got changed and the man left the premises promptly.

His fiancée sat beside him and ask for his forgiveness.

That guy didn’t beat her, slap her or even scolded her.
He only asked her whether she loves him.
His fiancée could only nod while in tears.

“Then be my good wife from tomorrow on…”

He kissed her forehead and left the house.

Both of them got married as per plan the day after. Anyone who came to their wedding labeled them as the most matches made couple that they have ever come across.

The groom was handsome and successful in his career and the bride was pretty and very gentle. It was sounded as if a match made in heaven.

The guy didn’t talked anything regarding the incident ever since.

Then…

They got separated half a year after their blissful marriage.

Not because of the girl who strayed again but the guilt that left inside her on the day before their marriage kept haunting her since.

After 3 years of separation, they finally served their divorce letters.
Before the girl signed on the letter, she asked him.

“Why didn’t you scold me…? Why didn’t you beat me? I did something wrongful to you… You know how much guilt you’ve left in me?”

The guy only looked at her and smiles.

“Because I love you… therefore I will forgive you.”
Tell this story to a guy and most probably he will label the groom as the stupidest person on earth.

Tell this story to a girl and most probably she will protest that guys are often the easier sex to stray than girls.

I don’t know that was a script from the drama series or a true-life account but it was told to me by a good friend who apparently knew the bride.

I ever asked myself what I would do if I were that guy.

Will I forgive?

I might… but I’ll never forget… and I would never want to see both of them again. That was the same answer that came from my wife when I told her this story.

When you can’t forgive someone you love, it doesn’t mean you don’t love the person deep enough. It’s only the threshold that different people can take when the situation comes.

So how much can you forgive?

Even if you can forgive but can you forget?

----------


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

“YES... I want to know. So can you tell me?”
Mark type furiously on his keyboard.

“You will know the answer very soon but do you dare to know the answer?”
Psyche countered him.

“Why not?”

“Very well… we will meet soon.”

“What do you mean???”

Mark knew the conversation has ended like before. He got up and went to bed straight.

Morning came and Mark was on his way to work.

As the morning train was as pack as always, the group of commuters on board squeezed Mark around. He felt someone knocking on his back a few times when the train was moving.

“What the…F...”
Mark’s irritation got over him.

“Hi Mark?”
Jade smiled at him, she was being squeezed and knocked onto him while trying to shield herself.

“Hey… how come I didn’t know you were behind me all along?”

“I did call you but you didn’t response. You looked distracted, are you ok?”

“I’m just tired... I suppose I didn’t have a good rest last night.”

“Hey what happened to you last few days? Didn’t saw you on the train.”

“Oh... Ehh... my colleague sent me to work during the last 2 days...”
Mark didn’t have a clue why he had to lie on that.

“You are really busy with your work huh?”
Jade winked at him.

“Of course… A man’s top priority is his career isn’t it?”
Mark winked back.

The train stopped at the station where Mark was alighting. Before he got down, Jade asked softly.

“Mark... Saturday still on?”

“I’ll call you ok?”
Mark reply as he alighted from the train and showed the ‘calling’ signage to Jade as the train moves.

“Hi all.”
Mark greeted both Shaun and Christine who only smile back.

The atmosphere in the office was no longer as lively as before. The three of them hardly struck a conversation. Everyone was engrossed in his or her work.

Even lunchtime was no different, Shaun would join his finance buddies and he didn’t even know where Christine was during lunch.

Shaun was getting moody all day long and Christine was the same came and left on the dot, not a single minute more or less.

Mark was busy taking over Christine’s project and has to hold meetings with the in house Engineers as well as external customers and contractors.
Everyone seems to focus only on his or her respective direction.

“Bye all”
Mark looked around before realizing he was the only person left in the office.

As Mark strolled along the route home, he took out his mobile phone and dialed Jade’s number. Even though they knew each other for awhile now, it was his first time calling.

“Hi…?”

Mark made the first interaction.

“Yeah Mark?”

“Oh… you know it was me...”

“Why not? I’ve got your numbers all along.”

“Oh… you didn’t delete them… Anyway I just called to ask you whether you are free this Sat.”

“Of course! I always wanted to learn how to cook the soup.”


Jade could be heard giggling over the receiver.

“Hey Jade... there’s something I need to confirm about.”

“Yeah?”

“Those soups you drank are actually cooked by my mum. I don’t really know how to cook actually… Sorry to disappoint you.”

There was no immediate response from Jade.

“Jade you still there?”

“Yeah of course… Don’t worry, I’m not angry or anything. So your mum willing to teach me?”

There was a sense of relieve over Mark as he heard the reply.

“I don’t see any problem in that, I will go buy the ingredients tomorrow.”

“Let’s get it together instead?”
Jade offered.

“Certainly, that would be great cos I’m never good in my groceries”

“So I’ll see you at Westmall? I’ll be driving tomorrow.”
Mark suggested.

“Ok, see you at nine. If you are late, you would have to treat me breakfast!”
Jade giggled over the phone again.

Mark hung up the phone and walked out to the living room.

“Ma…”
His mother was watching some Hong Kong drama.

“Yeah?”
She turned at looked at him.

“My friend wants to learn how to cook soup from you. She will be coming over tomorrow morning. Is that alright with you?”


Mark’s mother thought for a moment.

“But I’ve got mahjong session tomorrow!”
She frowned.

Mark’s face turned sour as he was about to go back to his room.

“But of course… Mahjong can play anytime…”

Those words added sweetness to dilute the sourness in his face.

“Thanks ma...”

“Is your friend that Sharon?”

“Nope… her name is Jade, the one who was hospitalized that time.”

“Jade?... Hmmmmm..”
Mark’s mother wondered for a moment before she turned her attention back to the television.

Mark slept well that night. He had a dream of his childhood where he used to follow his mother to the market.

Mark’s mother would hold his hand and teach him how to differentiate and select a fresh fish from the rest. She would also teach him the names of various vegetables as all looked the same to him.

It was something he missed…


-------------

It was 8.47am and Mark was already waiting in front of the supermarket at westmall.
Mark waited patiently as he strolls around the shops at the basement which was not even opened.

Half an hour had passed and there was still no sign of Jade. Mark decided to call her.

“Jade?”


“Yeah?”

“Err… we’re suppose to meet today right?”

“Oh is it??? Gosh! I’ve overslept!!!”

“Ohhhh… it’s ok then…”
Mark’s heart sank.

“Fool you!!! Hahahahaha I’m standing right in front of you.”

Mark looked around but didn’t see her in sight.

“Look further lah… I’m at bakery shop.”

Mark finally found her and walked towards her.

“Hey… you sure got me man!”

“Yeah… I know, you reached here at 8.47am right?”

“How do you know??”
Mark was very surprised by her reply.

“Heee heee… Don’t tell you. Let’s go for our breakfast first? I’ll treat since I’m late.”
Jade offered.

“Oh well…”
Mark agreed as they moved along to have their breakfast.

Both of them went back to the supermarket and Mark pushed a trolley from the entrance.

They strolled through the entire supermarket. Discussing on the soup which Jade wanted to learn and buying the ingredients that she wanted.

The feeling was special as they browse through the dairies and groceries. Mark was trying to convince Jade which fish is fresh from the little experience he had gathered.

Jade was obviously the better one in terms of shopping though. Mark simply gave up after awhile and just agreed in whatever Jade had told him.

“Can you don’t sound like my mother?”
Mark protested when Jade tried to convince him that carrots are good for blood circulation.

“If I’m your mother then you will be a healthy boy!”

Jade tried to knock him with the carrot in her hand.

The hour of shopping came to an end when Jade reminded him of the time.

-------------------

“Hello Auntie…”
Jade greeted Mark’s mother as she opens the door.

“Hi… so you are Jade. Come in..”
She ushered them in.

“Sit, sit… Mark, go get people some drinks.”
She ordered as both of them seated on the sofa.

“So Jade… are you getting better?”

“Yeah I guess so…”

“So what operation did you undergo? Is it serious?”

Jade was getting awkward when Mark answered his mother.

“Ma.. why you so kaypo? Anyway it’s just a small operation.”

“Oh… ok..”

“Oh…Auntie… I want to learn the fish soup you cooked for me the other time.. It’s really great!”

“Ok… I see you’ve bought the ingredients too.. Come let’s go to the kitchen.”


Mark stayed in the living room as both of them went to the kitchen. He dozed off as the cool wind blew at him from the fan.

“Wei.... wei.. wake up…”
Jade tried to tickle him.

“Oh… I fell asleep…”
Mark rubbed his eyes.

“Yeah… my soup is brewing at the moment.. Have to wait one more hours. Got anything nice to show me?”

“Hmmmmm… come I show you my blog?”

Mark explained the whole story of his blog while he switches on his computer. How he started it and all the entries that he entered. He also told her about how Sharon and her comments in his blog that led him to save her.

“The most exciting thing about my blog is this user named ‘Psyche’ I reckon it’s a she but I’ve never met her before. She always tagged questions that only my deepest heart knew. She is someone who knows a great deal about love. A very mysterious person, someone whom I really loved to meet..”

“Is there such a person? Wow….”
Jade was getting excited.

Mark then clicked on his blog website.

“You read through first, her questions always post on my tagboard. I need to go toilet.”
”Ok..”

When Mark came back, he found Jade staring at him with her arms folded.

“Yeah?”

“What Psyche you talking about? There’s no such person in your blog. Idiot.. I got fooled.”

“Huh?”

Mark then browsed through his blog and got the fright of his life.

True enough, Jade was right.

There wasn’t a single entry by Psyche.


[To be Cont]

No comments: