Thursday, June 07, 2007

Chapter 4
[ A part of Lost Memory ]


It seems funny that some friends can lose contact over and over again without realizing how long. Maybe it’s the daily routine that made us behave this way. When we were young, it was always “friend” first. We could do anything any day for a friend. As we grow older, “friends” seem a distant word as we spend time for family, sometimes colleagues after work. Have you ever know someone all your life? Someone who studied in the same school throughout your education lifespan? If you do…

[When was the last time the group of you sits down and enjoys a cup of coffee & talk over the moon? ]


"So... how's life been going for you, Janice? I mean, look at you. A totally different person. What happen? You were abducted by Aliens or something?"

Ken bubbled with excitement.

"If that's your way of complimenting that I’m pretty then I will accept it without any guilt!"
Janice replied while taking a sip of coffee.

"We've all changed, Ken.... you, me and everyone around us... its whether you realized it or not that five years have past…"

There was a moment of silence from Ken.

"Looks like we've never stayed in contact after that incident…so how are you these years Janice?"

Ken tried not to look into Janice’s eyes, maybe he was still guilty about the incident that happened 5 years ago when they were still in University together.

“Its ok Ken, although I wish I could literally kill you during those times when Daphne kept insisting that we had something together and calling me a ‘slut’.
Thinking back, guess I was a bit too childish to get angry over such comments also. ”

“…. I’m sorry…”

Ken guessed that was the only words that were appropriate at the moment.

”…for ?”
”For what Daphne did, she shouldn’t have raised her hand towards you..”

“Its ok Ken, like what I’ve said, I was a bit childish to agitate her too. Looking back, it seems only like yesterday that we sat down and talked about this… Argh~~.. It’s been 5 years already… “

Janice stretched herself.

“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger right Ken? Anyway Daphne is going to be my ‘Da Sao’ soon so I guess I have to start respecting her.”

“I don’t think you need to.. anyway Daph and I didn’t last as long as you would expect, we broke up 3 years ago…”

“What?~!?~?” Janice almost choked on her pasta.

“That’s very enterprising.. then what are you meeting me for? I thought you would want to pass me your wedding invitation.??”

“Oh… yeah I almost forgot my real intention too. Are you still in contact with the girls back during Secondary school?”

“Anyone in particular?”

“Anyone with the Christian name that starts with ‘S’ and Surname with ‘M’? Or vice versa?”

“Wah… why you need that for?”

“Well, you won’t understand even if I would to tell you, you won’t believe even if I would to show you, you won’t accept if I would to explain to you”

“Ok… ok.. stop confusing me… Let me think…There’s Sally Mok… Samantha Ma, Melody Su, Mabel Soo and Sophie Maniz Lee. If you include her middle name… ”

Ken went into deep thoughts……

“Other than the 3 which I thought, there’s Melody See… and Mabel Soo… wait a minute, who’s Mabel Soo???”

“Hey Janice, who’s Mabel Soo??? Why I don’t any impression of her?”

“What you mean you don’t know her? She’s my best buddy ok? And come to think of it, you almost ruined her life during our school days!!”

Janice burst out laughing.. ignoring the attention that she got from the whole restaurant.

“Of course you don’t know Mabel Soo.. but guess you won’t forget her chinese name…”
“Please stop irritating me Janice and tell me who is she…”

“Her chinese name is Liao Liao. And you always called her “Su Liao Liao” – “Lose Everything” in translation…remember now?”

A bolt of static could have struck Ken’s brain as he felt some numbness in him…


Could it be her? Mabel Soo is SM43?

[To be cont…]

No comments: