Monday, June 18, 2007

{ 雨の天使 }

Rain Angel
Chapter 5

[ It never rain today... ]

Do you know what is a terubozou?
Its a weather doll very popular in Japan where people hang it out if they wished for a good
weathered day tomorrow.
But if people wanted rain then they will have to hand the weather doll upside down in order for the rain to start.
I have 2 of them because I don't like it to be lonely hanging there all by itself.
That's when I prayed for the rain in the afternoons.

Days have past since the day Mavis have met him.
As she walked past the telephone booth she let out a smile to remind her of such a ridculous person that existed.
“I don't think he got the guts to kill himself anyway”
Mavis thought as she contiuned her journey to school.

Someone sprung on her as she was about to reach the school gate.
“Hey girl! Long time no see?”
Mavis turned back, it was Hanling.

“How are you Mavis? Getting better?”
Hanling asked as they walked inside the school.

“yeah... the running nose is drying up but still blocked”
Mavis's sounded lethargic.

“Oh.. yeah by the way, I walked past the market just now. Your mum pass me $50 and thanked me for lending you that day.. what's that all about?”
Mavis's heart frozed as she fear the worst.

“Then what did you tell her?”
“I just thanked her and tell her I will always help you because you are my best friend!”
Mavis's heart started to pump blood again.

“wah.. lucky you've never give me away. If not I won't know how to tell her”

“You can start by telling me, Your BEST friend first on what happen...!!”
Hanling's facial expression showed much eagerness and full of anticipation.

“It's nothing big deal.. I'll tell you over lunch can?”
“Awww.. why not now?”
Hanling's anticipation lowered.
“Because I have skipped lesson for 2 days already! So you gotta help me revise!”
Mavis said as they entered the classroom.

-----------------

“Mavis! Its lunch time already, let's go out and eat since our next lesson is at 3pm.”
Hanling hugged and dragged Mavis's arm.

Mavis told Hanling her experience 2 days back as they walked out of school.
“No way! Such a corny thing happened in real life in Singapore!”
Hanling rebuked.

“Mavis, you sure it's the truth? Or you make this up with your imagination?”
“No lah.. it's really the truth! Why would I make up something like that?”
“So did the guy finally kill himself?”
“I don't know, I don't suppose he will do it”
Mavis wondered.

“Yeah most probably the guy would have fallen for you.. it's always like that in the movies..”
Hanling using her ever imaginative creations.

“Yeah loh.. then no one will accompany you for movies again..”
“Oh yeah.. that's kinda sad though.. oh there's the resturant”
Hanling pointed.

They reached a japanese resturant not far from their school.
It was Hanling's idea.

Rumours has it that there's a cute looking guy is working with the cafe.
That rumour itself had attracted a lof of girls from nearby school for lunch.
Today is the day that they are going to verify the rumour.

“Hi ladies, so what would you like to have for lunch?”
The waiter served.
“So you are the rumoured cute guy that everyone is talking about?”
Hanling began to scan on him like a predator while Mavis flipping through the menu.
“Hmm... guess I didn't disappoint you right?”
The waiter smiled.
“Nope you didn't.. guess we will have our lunch here from now on”
Hanling had finished her scanning..
It read 8/10 from her scope and rated one of the highest in her collection of cute looking guys that she had ever met.

Mavis stopped flipping.
“That voice is very familiar... where did I ever hear it before?”
Mavis looked up to the waiter.

The Waiter stared at her.
That few seconds that exchanged between simply stop time from flowing.

“Oh my god. Its you!!!”
Mavis shouted as she covered her mouth.

“Oh.. hey it's you......”
The waiter replied as they looked at each other.
Both of them didn't exchange another single conversation.

Then Hanling broke the silence.
“Ok...Mavis, I smell something going on here.. and why am I being left out?”
“No lah.. just met an acquaintance”
Mavis tried to hide her blushes.

“Oh.. so your name is Mavis.. thanks for the other day.
By the way, my name is Wilson. Nice knowing you”
Wilson displayed her victory sign.

“What the other day? What happened?”
Hanling just didn't fit into the atmosphere that very moment.
“Hanling.. he's the guy whom I told you about just now..”
“Really?! Wah.. so you are that lame guy who tried to kill yourself?”
Hanling laughed.

“Hey stop it, Hanling, Sorry she didn't mean anything.”
Mavis just wanted to find a hole to hide.

“It's ok, it did happened anyway so there's nothing to feel ashame about”
Wilson smiled.

“Besides, I've recovered... so have you recoverd from your cold?”
“Yeah... kind of..”

“Ok, let's have some ordering from the ladies..shall we?”
“Mavis, you should have the Chasiew Ramen as it's not as spicy & oily compared to the rest.”
Wilson reccomended.

“Ok.. I will have that”
“And you?” Wilson turned his attention to Hanling.

“Hmmm.. I want Udon, some Okcha and most importantly your contact number!”

Mavis covered herself with the menu to hide her embrarassment created by her friend.
“Sure, right away”
Wilson took out a pen and scribble his numbers on the serviette besides Hanling.
After serving the ladies, Wilson went around serving others, wiping the tables, moving the boxes of supplies and arranging the table.

Mavis made quick glance at him.
That was the first time that she had looked at him at a distance.
As they walked back to school. Hanling took out the serviette.
“Take it. Don't say I'm not a good friend”
Hanling handed over Mavis her serviette.
“What? Haiyah.. Don't be like this can?”

Mavis pushed her hand away. The serviette dropped inside the drain.
“See what you've done...!”
Hanling looked at Mavis angrily.
“Lucky I've entered his number inside my phone!”

-------------------------
Classes ended late that day.

Mavis walked through the park as she returned.
The sun was already setting.
“How come these 2 days no rain? Hmmm.. must pray for rain”
Mavis began to search for her terubozou dolls.

“Where are they??”
Mavis nearly poured her bag to search.

“Where did I lose them?? I didn't go out these 2 days.”
Mavis walked past the telephone booth.

“Did He picked up my dolls?”
Mavis wondered.

Mavis was too afraid to ask for his number from Hanling.
“Maybe I would just have to make another pair...”
The despaired feeling made her walk even slower.

Just as she was about to reach home,her phone began its melody.
There was a SMS message but the number was not familiar to her.

“Hey Mavis, it's me Wilson. Got your number from Hanling. Just want to ask you whether you are the owner of 2 white cloth doll which I picked up the other day?”

[ To be Cont ]


No comments: