Sunday, June 10, 2007

Chapter 8

[ A Lost Secret ]

“Psst… Can I tell you something? But promise me you won’ tell anyone?”
“Ok I promise.. I will keep this secret forever with me..”
“Really?”
“Really.. A secret is always a secret..”

Ever tell someone a secret?
Or ever been told a secret that you have to hold down your body to prevent it from leaking out?

I believe everyone has secrets.

It can be just about everything. About family, friends, wrongdoings, relationships..
One of the best secrets when we were young is involving secret admiration for someone.

Who would have forgotten the feeling you got when you finally let the secret out?

Was it guilt?
Was it a relieve that finally you need not bear the burden of knowing and can’t telling?



“Mel?”

Janice called Mabel when she reached home.

“Yes dear?”

“I’m sorry… I’ve told Ken about it”

“About what?”

“About you having a crush on him when we were in Secondary school. I’m sorry.. I know I’ve promised not to tell anyone. ”

“Its ok Janice, you don’t have to feel sorry about anything. It’s been so long, if you haven’t tell me about it. I properly would have forgotten him anyway.”
Mabel been so calm as always.

“Mel, I’ve given him your numbers too…”

“You what?! Thanks for the kindness!”

The calmness seem shaken.

“Ken said he’s got something to ask you, so I obliged his request mah.”

“Mel, can I ask you something?”

“Yes Jan?”

“Do you still like him as before?”

There was a paused at the back of the receiver.

“Mel.. still there?”

Then the line was cut off…

Ken was back at home with his mobile phone & a piece of paper in his hand.

“It’s been so long.. will she remember me?”

Weeks past, every night Ken would spend some time thinking of whether it’s appropriate to call Mabel.

“If I don’t call, I’ll never know what happened 10years ago… and even if she don’t like me now. I should be grateful that she once did…”

Ken finally dialed the numbers.

The voice he heard remain as sweet as her smile.

“Hello…”

“Hi.. is this Mabel?” Ken trying to subdued his nerves.

“Yes.. speaking.. you are?”
“Hey.. erm… it’s me.. Ken.. Ken Kuan from Sec 4H..”

“Oh.. hi Ken.. how are you these years?”

“I’m fine.. I’m been traveling quite a lot actually. From UK to US..”

“You want come out for coffee?”

“Now?” Mabel looked at her watch. It was about 9pm.

“If you don’t mind.” Ken softened his voice.

“Ok, see you at East Coast McDonald’s? I’ve been wanting to go there ever since I return.” Mabel replied.

As Ken drove towards East Coast, his heart sank as the destination gets nearer. Thoughts begin to wonder.

What am I going to say?
Should I tell her that I’ve only received her letter today?
Do I really like her in the first place?


Mabel was already at the café. She smiled when she saw Ken.
Everything could have changed but not the smile.
Not the smile that once caught the heart of Ken.

Ken sat down and they begin talking like old friends. It seems that 10 years is indeed too long for a catch up. Mabel have left for UK to study Banking and was found a job in UK followed by a stint of 5 years in US. On & off she will fly back to Singapore for her gatherings.

And so they talked. It was like the old times, when Mabel would always listen to Ken talking. Ken would always trying to tease her and she would always smile back.

They were walking along the beach after Ken suggesting to get a breather.

“Mabel…”

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry…”

“For?”

“Making you cry that day.. and everything else…”

“It’s ok Ken, I’ve never once blame you at all”

“By the way Mabel, can I ask you something?”

“Yes…?”

“Are you S(43)M?”

“Eh…. Yes… but how did you know it’s me?”

Before Mabel could react, Ken shot another question at her.

“Do you ever liked me before?” Ken finally asked.

“…………” Mabel stopped walking.

“I….” Mabel tried very hard but words didn’t seems to come straight out from her.

“I don’t know Ken.. maybe I did… its been 10 years already. Even if I did during that time, all may be forgotten now.”

“It’s ok Mabel, I know it’s a bit silly to ask this question to you suddenly right now”

“Silly? So what if I do like you now? Will we be together now?”
Mabel turned to Ken with her eyes beginning to turn teary.

Ken was shot in the heart. He wasn’t expecting this.

“Mabel, I know you liked me all along. But I can’t tell whether is it Love between us.
I guess I’ve always treat you more like a younger sis…”

“Then maybe I shouldn’t have come back…” Mabel broke down.

It was the second time that Ken had made her cry.

To think getting your secret revealed by your best friend was painful enough.
To be rejected by someone whom you’ve liked for the past 10 years was even a greater pain to bear.

Mabel hugged Ken and just let it all out within her..

She was glad she finally said it out. Even though it didn’t meant anything to her now.

She just hugged Ken until her tears had dried up.

“Mabel, We are still good friends right?”
“Yes… we’ll always be good friends… forever”


They just sat at the beach throughout the night as Mabel slept on the arms of Ken.

Dawn has broke.

Everything looks clearer in the mist of dawn as the sun rose.
”Everything is clearer now…”
Ken looked at Mabel.

“At least now I know who I really liked…”
[To be Cont]

No comments: