Friday, June 15, 2007

{ 雨の天使 }

Rain Angel
Chapter 3

[ The rain that drenched both of us ]

I always liked the rain.
I like to sit beside the windows and have the feeling of security inside a shelter while seeing people running around looking for one.
I always secretly prayed for the rain to come.
But I wished it only to rain in the afternoon... when my parents are resting.
I can't pray for rains to be at night because they will be out working at the market,
So if it rains at night.. I will be very sad...


Wilson walked out the telephone booth.
The rain was still pouring heavily throughout the whole park.
He was drenched from head down and was swaying side ways.
Mavis stood blank back inside the booth as she saw him further and further away from her sight.

“Will he really kill himself? What if he really kills himself?? Will I be charged with assisted suicide??”
Trains of thoughts rattled through her mind at the speed of 100km/hr as she watches his back view slowly diminishing through the rain.

Suddenly, there was a bolt of lightning that struck down from the sky and series of explosive thunders follows. When Mavis came to her senses, she saw Wilson already collapsed across the walk way.
“Oh my god..!!! What happened?? Is he dead??”

Mavis dashed out of the booth and ran towards him as fast as she could. She didn't cared less about herself being drenched by the incoming droplets as the rain pours.
Upon reaching him, Mavis didn't dare to do anything.
Wilson was motionless as he laid.
Mavis didn't know what to do next...
CPR recovery? She remembered how it was taught in school but she's just too nervous to recall anything now.


All she could do was to stand and stared at him.
Then she squat beside him.
Finally she tried to touch his hand.


Wilson opened his eyes and stared at Mavis as her hand touches his.
“Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!”
Mavis screamed as if she had seen a ghost.
“Can you please.... don't shout in my eyes?”
Wilson spoke as he closes his eyes once more.
“Why are you lying down here in this heavy rain?”
Mavis tried to shield herself and little bit of him as she spoked.
“Does it matters if it rains or shine? Because I don't see a difference”
Wilson continued to ignore her.
“Will... will you kill yourself as you've said over the phone?”
“I might... after I killed you first for eavesdropping my conversation.. who knows?”
“You can't kill yourself... what about your parents?”
“They are no longer with me”
“They migrated already? Everybody seems to be migrating nowadays”
“Argh! Can you please stop bothering me?”
Wilson sat up and looked at her.
It was the first time that both of them came face to face of each other. There was a moment of silence across them except the sound of the pounding rain.
“I don't know them.. they left me when I was very young. To me, they don't even exist”
Wilson didn't know why he told Mavis about the truth behind his parents that day. He had never told anyone anything about his past.
“Oh... that's really bad but don't worry! As long as you keep trying, you will see them one day!” Mavis tried to encourage.
“Please leave me alone”Wilson replied.
“I can't! If you commit suicide then I will become assisted murderer because I know you are going to kill yourself but I didn't stop you!”
“Did anyone ever tell you that you are very irritating?”
Wilson picked himself up and move on.
Mavis followed behind.
“Can you promise that you won't kill yourself?”
“Ok. Ok I promise. As long as you stop irritates me, I will not kill myself. Done?”
Wilson finally gave in.
“Ok. Then now you owe me something”
“What? Why??”
“Because I've just saved your life!”
Mavis returned a grin.
Wilson just shake his head in disbelief.
With all the commotion going on, it wasn't surprise Mavis had long forgotten about school.
She suddenly looked at her watch and began panicking.
“Oh my god! Oh my god!!! I'm late... I'm so damn late for school”
“So what? You can always take a medical leave”
“Can I do that?”
Ahhh... Choo! Mavis started sneezing uncontrollably.
“See? Now you can go and see a doctor”
“But I don't have enough money to go see a doctor..”
Wilson took out some notes from his pocket.
“Here's $50.. please go and see a doctor”
“But I can't take people's money!”
“You never steal or rob.. and didn't you say I owe you something?”
“Yeah because I saved you! Heehee”
“Then take this $50 and go see a doctor so that I don't owe you anything anymore”
“Wah.. your life only worth $50??”
“Then what do you want??? take it please and do whatever you like with it”

“I want you to be happy! Because life is suppose to be happy!”

Mavis showed her trademark victory sign and start walking back.

The bitter rain can make a person cold but those words that came out from her mouth really made Wilson felt a moment of warmness in his heart.

“Yeah.. right.. what's so great about being happy...”

As both of them walked opposite directions, the rain was stopping and the sky begins to clear up.

“Ma... I'm home”
Mavis said as she opened the door.

“You never go to school today?”
“I did... but I didn't feel well so I borrowed some money from Hanling and went to see the doctor..”

Mavis letting out a smile.
“Then why are you so happy? Happy because you no need to go to school?”

Mavis's mum glared at her.

“Nope.. I'm happy because I saved someone today!”

Mavis said as she looked out of her window to see the last drop of rain fell below...


[To be Cont]

No comments: