Sunday, June 10, 2007

Chapter 9

[ A Lost Chance ]

Have you ever regret of saying or doing something that you shouldn’t?
How did you felt when the guilt rushed among you?

Everyone would have done or said something that they shouldn’t. The results can be very devastating depending on which angle.

If given a chance.. what is the words or action that you would want to change the most?

Is it something that cause someone to cry?
Or is it telling someone you’ve always like that you like her/him?


A few months have past through the chapters of confession.
Everything seems back to normal as the Ken, Janice & Mabel often meet up and rekindles the good old times. Some of the gatherings among old school pals Derrick, Kelvin, Michelle where everyone has changed so much since secondary school days.

Janice did not know whatever happened that night even though Mabel did told her that the 2 of them had met up.

The headquarters at US had requested Mabel to be stationed there for another 2 years and if the chances were good, she may have to remain there for good.

There was a mini celebration before the flight to celebrate the job progress of Mabel.

“I’m gonna miss you, Jan & you too.. Ken..”
Mabel said as she began to hugging them.
“Mel.. I don’t know when will I see you again.. promise me you take care of yourself ok?”
Janice hugged Mabel again.

“Take care, Mabel” Ken said.

“You better take care of Janice when I’m gone ok? If not I will take the earliest flight back to kick you!”
Mabel joked.


Soon after the goodbyes and sending off, Mabel had went onboard.

“Want to get a drink somewhere?” Ken suggested.

“Sure, why not? But its gonna be on you!”

“Janice, you damn cheapo! You are earning more than me you know, you should be giving me the treat!!”
Ken knocked her head.

They reached a café near Janice’s place.
As they were whining about each other’s job and rotten bosses.

Ken broke the ice.

“Janice, why is it that I’ve never hear you mention about dating other people?”

Janice blushed.

“Because I’m a lesbian..”

“Lesbians also dates mah.. only they date females instead of males.
But I’ve never hear you mention about your girlfriends before”

“Don’t talk about me lah, there’s nothing interesting in me.” Janice revoked.

“Why I never hear you talking about your dates too?”

“Because I never had any!”

“Didn’t you & Mabel got something?”

“Nope… never, we are just good friends”

“Ken, or are you gay?” Janice burst out laughing.

“Nope, its because I’m still waiting for the chance to tell that someone that I liked her”

“Then when you going to tell… ?”

“I don’t know… maybe tonight…”

“I like you Janice… “ Ken held Janice’s hand.

All her laughter and smile broke into pieces as this was one of the last thing she would be able to imagine.

“Ken.. stop it.. its not funny” Janice tried to loosen her hand.

“No I’m serious… this time..” Ken looked into her eyes.

“Why me? Why not Mabel? She liked you all along..”

“Why you? Why not you? Why is it that it have to be somebody else? Why can’t we be together?”

“Its impossible Ken, we cannot be together..”
Janice broke free… and dashed out of the café heading home.

Ken was left all alone.

There was something tingling in his heart.
Somehow he can felt the pain that was piercing through.

Maybe the pain was as much as how Mabel felt that night.
The feeling of rejection.


The only chance that he had was gone.
Ken tried calling Janice but she would not pick up.

2 weeks have past, there was still no response from her even though Ken have constantly tried to contact Janice.

Ken had turn to the last resort as he gone up to her flat.

An old woman opened the door.

“Auntie, are you Janice’s mother?”

“Yes.. who are you?” The woman looked at Ken.

“I’m Ken.. you remember? Janice’s classmate during secondary school. You always cooked dinner for us whenever we come over to study”

“Oh.. so you are Ken…”

“Yes.. Auntie.. is Janice around?”

“Nope.. she’s not around” Janice’s mother spoke as she was closing the door to him.

“Then when will she return? It’s ok, please let her know I will wait downstairs for her.”

“Ken?” She reopened the door.

“You mean you didn’t know? Janice never told you her Hotel is sending her to Australia for further studies and attachment. She had left 2 nights ago. ”

There was the last words before the door was closed once more.

“All is lost..”

Ken thought as he walked slowly down to his car.

“When will I ever see her again?”

There were tears in his eyes as he think back about the times he had share with Janice.

Maybe Janice was the one after all.
She was the one who’ve accompanied him throughout all the good & bad times in his life.
“She’s gone now… why do I have to wait until today to find out that she is the one that I really loved?”
[To be Cont]

No comments: